Looking for an easy side dish? Look no further! These hassle back tomatoes are prepared in a few minutes, taste delicious and look the part. Can be easily transformed potluck style too so don’t skip the “What I’ve learned” section to see how to transform this recipe into a crowd pleaser!
Ingredients (for 4-6 people)
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 8 oz balls of fresh Mozzarella
- About 12 fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Wash and dry your tomatoes and slice them hassle back style, meaning you cut the tomato in slices, but you don’t cut all the way through, the bottom will still be intact. (I made 6 cuts, but this will vary depending on the size of your tomato).
- Slice your Mozzarella into approximately 6 slices.
- Careful not to break your tomato, put a slice of Mozzarella in every cut of the tomato.
- Stuff every cut with a basil leaf.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Finish with some (Himalayan) salt and freshly ground pepper.
What I’ve learned…
- Side dishes don’t need to be hard to make!
- This one is easily transformed to take with you to a potluck! Use cherry tomatoes instead of beefsteak, make 1 cut in each of them. Stuff every tomato with a small piece of Mozzarella and 1/4 basil leaf. Put on a tray, drizzle with olive oil and finish with salt and pepper. Voila!