Pasta! it’s the best, isn’t it? A nice big, filling plate of pasta with marinara sauce, meatballs, mozzarella and fresh basil is my idea of comfort food. Plus, the scent of fresh basil takes me right back to my favorite place on earth; Florence in Italy. It’s not too hard to find a sauce with a low carb count (if you can’t find one, just send me a message!), but to find a worthy substitute for pasta, that’s a whole different story. Most of the times people choose a noodle substitute like Shirataki noodles (I’m not a fan), or go for either spiralized or cubed zucchini. I usually did so too… but it was never that good… I just settled for it because I didn’t want to eat all the carbs that pasta consists of. In comes Keto Fettuccine! My belly is still full and happy while writing this…. No, it’s not the same thing, but it’s filling, pairs great with all kinds of sauces and is the best substitute I have tried since I started lowering my carb count in my diet. Try it, you will NOT be disappointed. Buon Appetito!
Ingredients (for one serving)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
You will need either an 8×8 or 7×11 inch non stick baking dish (I will explain the difference between these two in the “What I’ve learned” section).
- Preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Spray your baking dish (even though it’s non stick) with non stick spray of your choice. Don’t skimp, you don’t want your pasta to stick to the dish.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Poor the mixture in the baking dish and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Flip the dish over a cutting board to remove the sheet of “pasta”.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the sheet into 1/8 inch wide slices.
- Serve with your favorite sauce and toppings!
What I’ve learned….
- I have made these twice. The first time I used the 7×11 dish because I didn’t have an 8×8 one, and the second time I used the 8×8 one because the original recipe was based on it. I liked the first one better since the pasta sheet was thinner and therefor had more of a pasta mouthfeel after slicing. It also presented prettier on the plate. When I used the 8×8, the taste was still delicious but the pasta was thicker. It comes down to personal preference so make sure you keep on trying until you find the consistency that works for you.
- Even non stick oven dishes sometimes need to be sprayed to prevent sticking.
Stats per serving:
Fat: 20 g
Carbs: 2 g
Net carbs: 2 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 14 g
Source: “The Keto Carbs Cookbook” by Elisa Silva (Warriormade.com)