Hummus, the perfect snack! Healthy, goes great with vegetables and is perfect to serve when you have a crowd to please. Traditional hummus uses chickpeas and although really healthy, they are not allowed on a keto diet since they are relatively high in carbs and low in fats. Boo… you would say… Nope! This version uses zucchini instead of chickpeas and it works great! It feels lighter, it’s a little less thick than traditional hummus but that would make this version also perfect as a “dressing” over grilled meats or poultry 🙂 Let me know what you use it for, I’d love the inspiration!
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- 1/3 cup (raw) tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic. minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor. If you have both, I would choose the food processor… my blender had a bit of a hard time with it but with a little help from my spatula, it turned out great.
- Taste before you take out of the food processor and add more lemon juice, salt, garlic or pepper to taste.
- Dig in!
What I’ve learned…
- I like this version better than the traditional one, and I’m not alone; hubby prefers it too!
- Zucchini gives this hummus a lighter mouthfeel, and I like it. It’s less sticky.
- Try this recipe over grilled meats or poultry! Just prepare your protein the way you normally do and when you are ready to serve, just poor on and enjoy! It has a rich taste so start with a little bit. Maybe add some fresh curly parsley?
Stats per serving (8 servings per batch)
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Protein: 2 g
Fat: 5 g