This one tastes like dessert, and can be eaten like desert with one little tweak, but I made it for breakfast this morning and it was super satisfying. I like having shakes for breakfast; they’re easy and fast to prepare, they are easily bulked up when you wake up hungry, and you can put your supplements in them so you start with an extra dose of healthy nutrition. I’m a fan, and even a bigger fan of anything that contains pumpkin as you all know 😉 Happy Fall y’all!
- 1/3 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tablespoon erythritol
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts (if you don’t have them on hand, you can leave them out)
- 1 cup unsweetened (vanilla) almond milk
- 1 serving size of your favorite vanilla keto shake powder. Note: I use Slimfast since I like the taste the best. It also has an extra ingredient name Xanthan Gum. Xanthan Gum is a binding agent and thickener that is often used in gluten free baking and is fully keto approved. A little goes a long way!)
- If you are not using a keto shake powder that has Xanthan Gum in it, add 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum.
- 1 serving/scoop collagen powder (doesn’t taste like anything an can be omitted. I’m just adding it because this is how I like to make my shake).
- A few ice cubes (I used 4, but you can always bulk up your shake by adding more)
- Ground cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Put all ingredients in a blender, starting with the milk so that the pumpkin puree doesn’t stick to the blades of your blender.
- Blend until well combined.
- Serve with a straw and sprinkle cinnamon to taste on top.
What I’ve learned…
- You can make this shake into a pumpkin mouse by adding 3/4 cup of milk instead of 1 full cup and top it with some whipped cream. Play around with the amount of Xanthan Gum to get the right consistency. Start with 1/4 teaspoon and blend; if you do not have the right consistency for a mouse, add a sprinkle more, not a 1/4 teaspoon right away. The reason for this is that too much Xanthan Gum will turn your mouse into a jello like substance.
The stats depend on the type of shake powder you are using. The stats for the shake prepared as above are as follows;
Fat: 25 g