Note: There are a lot of different smoked sausages out there. I have seen sausages with as much as 7 grams carbs per sausage. The sausages I used have 1.6 g of carbs. Just know that the stats I posted below will be accurate when your sausage is low in carbs. The tip is to always check the stats of the food you are using before actually cooking with it.
This was an unexpected hit! Last Sunday, I had been in the test kitchen for about 6 hours trying out about 3 new dinners and 4 new baked goods. The dinners that I had the highest hopes for still needed tons of tweaking afterwards, and the spare dish I had prepped in advance in case my favorites failed, turned out to be one of our family favorites! There are almost no guidelines for this dish, but I will make a few so that I can put it as a recipe on this website and share it with all of you. It’s a crowd pleaser for sure and you can prepare it a few days in advance to store in the fridge so that you have it when the need for an easy quick dinner strikes 🙂
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 2 lbs fresh Brussel Sprouts
- 4-5 smoked sausages
- 6-8 strips of uncooked bacon
- Olive oil for drizzling (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Clean your sprouts, cut your sausages in bite size pieces and your bacon in 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Mix all the above ingredients in an oven safe dish. (if you are making this in advance, cover your dish with aluminum foil now and store up to 2 days in the fridge. When time to cook, just start from step 3).
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Toss your veggies and both proteins with olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
What I’ve learned…
- Roasting Brussel Sprouts is my FAVORITE way to prepare these healthy veggies! Roasting also gives them a beautiful vibrant color.
- Before you just grab any piece of prepacked protein to cook with, flip the package over and check the stats. Sausages can have hidden carbs and added sugars, and bacon isn’t always sugar free!
- Simple recipes can totally be better than complicated ones 🙂 Don’t get mislead by fancy preparations and unknown ingredients, you can’t go any simpler than this and this recipe totally rocks!
- If you are a family that goes in for seconds, I would say go right ahead and double this recipe since it’s also great for a next day lunch.
Stats (based on the use of 6 bacon strips and 4 sausages):
Carbs: 19.7 g
Net carbs: 10.7
Protein: 25 g
Fat: 26 g
Source: @keto_rebel on Instagram