Welcome to our first theme week! This recipe is the first one of 5 days of vegetarian meals keto style 🙂
Cauliflower rice; it’s a super popular low carb rice replacement and it has taken the world in storm over the past few years. Full disclosure though, I did NOT like it at all at first,and I still am picky when it comes to cauliflower rice. Only when I started making it myself from a whole, fresh head of cauliflower I started to love it, and so did the rest of my family. It’s not as hard as it may seem, and using fresh cauli rice for this recipe instead of store bought will yield great results, promise. And don’t worry, I will tell you exactly how to make it. Now let’s get cookin’!
Ingredients (4ish servings for side dish, 3 servings if used as a main dish)
- 10 oz riced cauliflower (about 1/2 a head of cauliflower) I’ll tell you how to make it in the instructions.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for sauteing (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach leaves (fresh)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make the riced cauliflower, cut the cauliflower in florets and put them in a food processor. Process till you get the consistency you want.
- Put the rice in a microwave safe dish, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and stir.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, and microwave for another minute. When you remove the dish from the microwave, take the plastic wrap off so that the rice doesn’t cook any further. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft.
- Toss in mushrooms and saute until softened.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the cauliflower rice and the soy sauce. Keep cooking until the rice has absorbed most of the moisture.
- Add the spinach and freshly ground pepper to taste and keep stirring until the spinach is wilted. 1-2 minutes. Done!
What I’ve learned…
- I have learned to not assume that my kids might not like something. Today we used 2 ingredients that my daughter Bella has never wanted to eat; mushrooms and spinach. So I made her steak and broccoli. She asked to try our food because I told her it was a special week for my website, and she ate not 1 but 2 helpings 🙂
Stats (main dish, 1/3 of the recipe)
Carbs: 8 g
Fiber: 3.6 g
Net carbs: 4.4 g
Fat: 9.5 g
Protein: 2 g