The air fryer, one of my most used appliances in a normal week (meaning, when I am not working on a themed recipe week like this one!). I use it for almost everything… better yet; I have two of them! We upgraded to an XL awhile ago but kept the smaller one… and it’s super convenient since it can do so much! Today we will use the air fryer to make tofu nice and crispy so we can use it as a topping for a simple salad with delicious Asian dressing. The only part of this recipe that requires some preparation and time is the the tofu, the rest is easy breezy. Side note; I have a meat lovin’ husband but even he admitted that the tofu was super tasty and he didn’t miss meat in this dish at all!
Ingredients (4 servings)
For the tofu
- 1 16 oz block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the salad
- 10 cups Romaine lettuce
- 30 sherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers (no skin, halved, deseeded and sliced)
- Optional garnish: sliced green onions
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (toasted) sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons erythritol
- Press the tofu for at least 15 minutes. We press the tofu to get the moisture out so that it will be crispier after air frying. I don’t have a professional press so put the tofu on some paper towels, put a plate on top of the tofu and weighed it down with a heavy pan.
- After pressing, cut your tofu in bite size pieces and put in a medium bowl.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in the “For the tofu” section in a small bowl. Drizzle over the tofu and gently mix the tofu with the marinade. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, make the dressing for the salad. In a jar with lid, combine all ingredients for the dressing. Close the lid and give it a good shake to combine everything very well. Set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 F.
- When your 15 minutes of marinating the tofu are done and your air fryer is ready, put the tofu in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Fry for 15 minutes.
- While your tofu is frying, equally assemble your salads on 4 plates or use bowls.
- When the tofu is done, put it on top of the salads, drizzle with dressing, garnish with green onions and finish with freshly grated black pepper.
What I’ve learned…
- I have never been a huge fan of tofu, but marinating and air frying it has made me change my mind!
Stats: will be updated soon!
Source: The recipe for the air fried tofu came from http://www.liveeatlearn.com