Growing up in the Netherlands, schnitzel was one of the staples for dinner. It has it’s origin in Germany and is one of my dad’s favorite dishes. Essentially it is a large, thin pork chop, with a coating of breadcrumbs. It’s often served with french fries and mayonnaise …. (these dots are me drooling… lol). Anyway, here on My Keto Testlab, I am trying to keep the carbs to a minimum and with a pork chop that is dipped in egg, then in flour and afterwards in breadcrumbs, I wouldn’t do a very good job keeping that promise, now would ?! No worries, I got you covered!
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Avocado oil for frying (it has a very high smoking point and won’t turn brown when frying so I like to use it for this dish).
- About 2 oz pork rinds, processed to a fine consistency. You’ll need about 3/4 cup after processing it.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the egg with the tablespoon heavy cream in a wide bowl, set aside.
- Put the processed pork rinds on a plate.
- Season your pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- 1 by 1, dip each pork chop in the egg mixture until fully coated and shake to let the excess drip off, followed by coating it with the pork rinds. This works best if you use 1 hand as a “wet” hand (meaning using it to coat the pork chop with the egg mixture) and one hand as a “dry hand (using it to coat the pork chop with the pork rinds, otherwise your own hands will resemble a “schnitzel” after the first coating.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Put the pork chops in, but don’t crowd them. Fry in 2 batches if needed.
- The first side takes about 4 minutes, but it all depends on the heat you put under your skillet. They should be darkish golden brown when you flip them.
- After flipping, fry for another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain excess fat.
What I’ve learned…
- The 2 handed approach to breading is really the way to go 🙂
Still in the works! I just couldn’t wait to share this one with y’all! I’ll update asap.