Two staples in my household; eggs and avocados. We’re stuck inside because of the winter weather and that, of course, challenges me to use everything I have in my pantry and fridge first, before even thinking about going out for groceries. The people who have been following me for a while now, know that this is totally not a stressor for me; I actually enjoy finding recipes based on what I have in my pantry and I love to go grocery shopping when my fridge is almost empty. It’s my little attempt to help reduce food waste. Every little bit helps, right?! Anyway, to make a very long story short: I have an easy one for you today. It only has 2 main ingredients and can be dressed up any way you like. This egg and avocado dish will work great for breakfast and lunch and is made in a snap.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 large avocado, halved and pit removed
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- your favorite seasoning and or toppings. Examples: taco or creole seasoning, everything but the bagel seasoning, fresh basil, avocado crumbles etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Flip each avocado side over, and slice off enough of the rounded skin so that it can sit flat when the open side is up.
- Place the avocados, open side up, on a cookie sheet or baking pan and crack some salt into each hole.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and divide it between the 2 avocado holes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the seasoning of your choice. If you are adding additional toppings like bacon or cheese, do not yet add them now.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the egg has fully set. Don’t overbake!
- Add additional toppings if you like such as bacon crumbles, grated parmesan cheese or some fresh basil.
- Serve with a spoon and enjoy!
Stats per 1/2 avocado (without toppings):
Carbs: 7 g
Net carbs: 1.5 g
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 13 g
Source of the original recipe (it’s tweaked a little): Keto Breakfast Cookbook by Kelsey Ale