When I initially started thinking about going low carb, or even keto, I made a rough plan of what food I was to cut out first, to create at least a START since giving your whole diet and therefor lifestyle a complete overhaul, can be really daunting. (and trust me, it was LOL). Over a year in, I have found my groove and figured out what my body and metabolism handle well, and what they don’t handle well at all. Of course jam, jelly and preserves were among the ones that I eliminated first since… sugar 😉 and I have never looked at them again. Until yesterday morning… when I had some spare time in my kitchen and was trying to use stuff I had around the house before ordering groceries again for the week (I love doing this! Before I make my online grocery list every Sunday, I check my fridge, freezer and pantry to see what’s still there. Then I make a menu for the coming week and try to do my food prep for take along breakfasts and lunches with the items that I still have. Only after that I will place my grocery order for the week. It keeps me creative in trying new recipes and I feel like I’m doing my small part to help eliminate food waste). Anyway… to make a long story short :), I found a lot of frozen berries in my freezer (when I see that berries are on the verge of going bad in my fridge, I throw them in the freezer to use them in shakes later) and while going through my cookbooks I saw a recipe for jam. This, combined with the fact that my local super market just added new Keto bread to it’s arsenal, made lunch a snap! (not breakfast…. since this jam needs to be in the fridge for 3 hours before you can enjoy it properly). It turned out great! Toasted white bread with Raspberry Jam for the win on Superbowl Sunday! Hope you’ll enjoy the recipe!
- 1 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite sugar replacement confectioners style (I use Swerve in all my baking)
- 1/3 cup water
- Allow the berries to defrost slightly before mashing them with a fork into a lumpy puree.
- Add the chia seeds, lemon juice, sweetener and water, mix to combine well.
- Scoop into a jar with lid and and place the closed container in the fridge to set for 2-3 hours.
- Once the jam has set, mix again to ensure all ingredients are distributed evenly.
- Enjoy! (so easy, right?!)
What I’ve learned…
- Not specifically a thing I’ve learned, but it really comes in handy to just throw those berries in the freezer when you know you aren’t going to eat them in time. Not only for on a whim recipes like these, but they are also awesome in shakes!
Stats per serving (1 serving is 1 tablespoon and this full recipe yields roughly 14 tablespoons)
Carbs: 2.9 g
Fiber: 1.9 g
Net carbs: 1 g
Fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 0.5 g
Source: “Keto Breakfast Cookbook” by Kelsey Ale (By Paleohacks) Get it here.